Led Zeppelin is without a question one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Comprising of Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones, and (of course) John Bonham, together they produced some of the most recognized songs ever written.
Led Zeppelin’s rise to fame happened so quickly as if they went from obscurity to playing at Madison Square Garden in just a few short years. And, as they say, the rest is history.
So what is it about Led Zeppelin that makes them so special? First and foremost, I think it’s their unique sound. Each member of the band brought something different to the table, which resulted in a sound that was unmistakable.
Robert Plant’s powerful vocals, Jimmy Page’s blistering guitar solos, John Paul Jones’ masterful keyboard playing, and John Bonham’s thunderous drums created a sound that was truly unique.
And then there are the lyrics. Led Zeppelin wrote some of the most cryptic and mysterious lyrics ever. Songs like “Stairway to Heaven” and “Kashmir” are still debated by fans and musicologists alike.
With that said here are some lesser-known facts and a few FAQs about Led Zeppelin you probably don’t know.
When was Led Zeppelin formed?
Formed in London, England, in 1968, Led Zeppelin was originally comprised of guitarist Jimmy Page, singer Robert Plant, drummer John Bonham, and bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones. Known for their blues-based rock, the band achieved international success with their first album, Led Zeppelin, released in 1969.
They are also considered as one of the founders of heavy metal and to your surprise, they have sold over 200 million albums worldwide which makes them one of the best-selling music artists of all time.
What is the story behind the band’s name?
Led Zeppelin was not always named that way, at the beginning they were called “The New Yardbirds”. They took the name “Led Zeppelin” after Keith Moon, drummer of The Who suggested it on a comment he made when describing what Led Zeppelin would sound like. He also added that they would go down like a lead balloon.
However, Moon’s prediction was wrong, the band went on to take off so fast that it stayed in the air for decades and became one of the most successful music acts of all time. Thanks to Moon, the band got its interesting name.
Is Led Zeppelin a metal band?
Some people consider Led Zeppelin as one of the founders of heavy metal music.
Their first album, which was released in 1969, had songs like “Dazed and Confused” and “How Many More Times” that hinted at the sound that metal bands started developing in the early 1970s.
However, Robert Plant always denied they were a metal band and said that they would like to be remembered as a rock band.
What type of music does Led Zeppelin play?
As a band, they have evolved a lot when it comes to the music they play.
They started out playing blues and folk music but when John Bonham joined in, he brought along a drum-heavy sound which mixed with Jimmy Page’s guitar riffs transformed them into a hard rock band.
However, they continued to play diverse genres throughout their career like heavy metal, blues-rock, and even progressive rock.
What was Led Zeppelin’s first album?
After the band was formed in 1968, they released their first album in 1969 which was self-titled. The album had 8 songs on it and reached number 1 on the Spanish Albums Chart and number 10 on Us Billboard 200.
The most popular songs from this album are “ Good Times and Bad Times”, “Communication Breakdown” and “Dazed and Confused”.
This album is now considered as a classic rock album and has been certified at 8x Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America.
What is Led Zeppelin’s biggest selling album?
It is Led Zeppelin IV, also known as “Untitled”, which was released in 1971. It has sold more than 37 million copies making it the third most successful album of all time.
This album contains one of their most popular songs, “Stairway to Heaven” which has been played on the radio more than any other song in history.
What was Led Zeppelin’s last album?
Led Zeppelin’s last album was released in 1982, which was called Coda. The album consisted of unreleased tracks from previous sessions, outtakes and alternate versions of songs.
It was not as successful as their previous albums but it still managed to reach number 6 on the Billboard 200 chart.
What is Led Zeppelin’s best selling song?
Their best selling song is one that was not even released as a single. It’s called “Stairway to Heaven” which came out in 1971 on their album IV.
Since it has been played on radio more than any other composition, it’s considered the most successful rock song of all time.
What is the story behind Stairway to Heaven?
The song “Stairway to Heaven” was written by Jimmy Page and Robert Plant and it is about a journey that one takes to get to heaven.
The song has a very unique structure where it starts with a slow introduction and then slowly builds up to the climax of the song.
According to Plant, he sang about “a sense of ascension” when he wrote the lyrics for this song.
In 2014 the band was sued for allegedly plagiarizing the song from Spirit, but the case was later dismissed.
Reasons Why Led Zeppelin is One Of The Best Rock Band
As you have read above, Led Zeppelin is one of the greatest rock bands of all time. Here are 10 reasons why:
1. They were incredibly innovative, creating a unique style that has been imitated by countless other bands over the years.
They blended a ton of genres together to create their sound, including folk, hard rock, blues and eastern music. In the process, they also helped pioneer some new techniques for recording albums.
2. They have some of the best guitar solos in history! Jimmy Page was known as one of the best studio session men in Britain during his pre-Zeppelin days, so you know he was one heck of a guitarist. And Robert Plant is no slouch either!
3. Their music is timeless and still sounds fresh today. Songs like “Stairway to Heaven,” “Kashmir” and “Rock and Roll” are all classic rock anthems that will never get old.
4. They have one of the most die-hard fanbases in music. Led Zeppelin fans are some of the most passionate and devoted in the world, and they are still going strong to this day.
5. They were one of the most successful bands ever. With over 300 million albums sold, Led Zeppelin is one of the best-selling music groups of all time.
6. Robert Plant’s vocals are simply amazing. He has one of the most powerful and unique voices in rock music, and his range is incredible.
7. They are one of the most influential bands in history. Many current rock bands cite Led Zeppelin as a major influence, and their sound has been copied by many over the years.
8. They have a unique stage presence that is unmatched by any other band. From Plant’s wild antics to Page’s epic guitar solos, Led Zeppelin always put on a show.
9. They are one of the most popular bands to ever perform at Woodstock. Their performance at the iconic music festival is still considered one of the best in history.
10. They are one of the most honored bands in rock music. Led Zeppelin has won numerous awards over the years, including multiple Grammy Awards, American Music Awards and MTV Video Music Awards.
Led Zeppelin is an undisputed rock legend, and there’s a reason why they are considered one of the best bands of all time. If you’re not a fan yet, it’s time to check them out! You won’t be disappointed.